adapted from the Pioneer Woman
Prep Time: 30 min | Cook Time: 1 hr | Feeds: 12
- 2 bunches Kale (or 1 large bunch of kale), Picked Over, Cleaned, And Torn Into Bite Sized Pieces
- 12 whole Red Potatoes, Sliced Thin
- 1 whole Onion, Chopped
- 1-1/2 pound Italian Sausage
- 1/2 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes (more To Taste)
- 2 cups Low Sodium Chicken Broth (homemade is best)
- 6 cups Whole Milk
- Fresh Or Dried Oregano
- Black Pepper and Salt To Taste
Prepare the kale and set it aside.
In a medium pot. boil sliced potatoes until tender. Drain and set aside.
In a large pot, sauté the onion until translucent. Crumble and brown the Italian sausage. Drain as much as the fat as you can. Stir in the red pepper flakes, oregano, chicken broth, and milk. Simmer for 30 minutes.
If you prefer a creamier, richer soup, the original recipe called for 2 cups of whole milk, 4 cups of half and half, and a splash of heavy cream.
To make this a bit healthier, I often substitute pork sausage for turkey sausage.