Perfect for peak blueberry season, these overnight oats are a hearty grab-n-go breakfast for your busy mornings. My husband and I can both eat them every morning for weeks on end without complaint. I like to heat mine up just until the blueberries burst.
Inspired by and lightly adapted from Southern Living.
Prep Time: 5 minutes | Sit Time: Overnight or 8+ hours | Serves: 1
Base Overnight Oats Recipe
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (not the quick cooking kind)
- 1 tbspn ground flax seed
- 1 tbpsn chia seeds
- 1 cup of any kind of milk
Blueberry Oats Toppings
- 2 tbpns shaved or slivered almonds
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 2-3 drops of vanilla extract
- A drizzle of honey or maple syrup if you have a sweet tooth
- Handful of fresh blueberries
Place all ingredients in a mason jar or other similar-sized container. Mix/shake well and leave in the fridge overnight.
Warm in microwave or on the stove before eating in the morning.
Meal Prep Note: To get a head start on your busy week, pull out five mason jars/containers on Sunday. Fill each jar with the dry ingredients (1/2 cup oats, 1 tbspn flax seed, 1 tbpsn chia seed, 1 tsp cinnamon, 2 tsp almonds) and set aside – no need to refrigerate this mixture. Each night before bed, add the wet ingredients (1 cup of milk, a few drops of vanilla, and a handful of blueberries). Then pat yourself on the back for being an efficient breakfast maker!
- Starting with just the base recipe, the variations here are pretty endless. Google “overnight oats” for a plethora of delicious ideas.
- Feel free to substitute almonds for pecans or walnuts or any other nut you prefer.
- In a pinch, I’ve made these with 1 cup of canned coconut milk. They were delicious!